Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vacation Day 1

It's been ages since I've posted anything so I thought I would stay in practice with my writing by posting a few comments while on vacation. We left this morning around 9am and made really good time, getting to our cabin around 8pm. This included some stops so I could get out and stretch my leg for awhile. I had very little discomfort getting here and in fact sat in the front seat with Jasmine the entire time instead of sitting in the back stretched out like I thought I would have too at some point.
I spent some time reading on the way down, (no shock there), and it's no shock for those that know me well that the reading involved some political articles and a book called Common Sense. My reading is almost always non-fiction!

The kids did wonderful on the drive, including Hannah who I think only got upset once and that was when we had to cut her off from eating her dinosaur gummy bears! Jasmine of course had to do all of the driving due to my broken leg. She is awesome, she has been extra busy since i broke my leg and with help from the kids, did all the packing, the loading and unloading of the car, and made dinner when we got here. The road up to the cabin is very steep, and its all gravel. It's not a drive you really want to make after dark, and we didnt have time to go to the grocery or anything for fear we wouldn't find our way back if it got dark!! Therefore, we just made pancakes. In fact, I tried pancakes with peanut butter and syrup on them since we have no butter yet. I've heard of eating them this way but never had before; all in all, pretty tasty. There is only one thing missing, and that is Taylor. I miss her humor and how much she likes to joke around. However, i admire her. She was given permission by the marching band director to miss band camp if she wanted, but she elected to stay so she wouldnt get behind on the needed practice time before they begin their marching band program. I know she would have missed the fun of being with the other band members during such an important week. Taylor, if you read this, we are having fun but we miss you.

Everyone is pretty tired after the drive. It's just Jason and I up at the moment and we are watching some episodes of Arrested Development!! This is one of the most underrated shows ever to appear on tv. It was cancelled after only 3 seasons despite winning numerous awards. Leave it to televison executives!! I can't remember what replaced it but it was likely yet another stupid unreal reality show!!

It's funny, when i started this blog I intended it to be somewhat political in nature including some posts on historical things such as the founding fathers, etc. I will get around to that, but those posts take more time and effort and i find myself getting worked up at times given the absurd things i see happening in this country i hold so dear and love so much. Therefore, I sometimes just need to get away from all of that and just ramble as I'm doing now. I'm working on an entry that I'm going to call "Power and Apathy" that i hope to post sometime in August.

I guess that's it for now. Im not sure what we have planned for tomorrow yet. I know I'm going to miss not being able to hike, but thats a little hard to do when your on crutches. I can't believe how fast your muscles deteriorate when you cant used them. n my first physical therapy session yesterday, I found out the thigh on my broken leg side was 1" smaller as to circumference when compared to my other leg. But, I'll get it built back up. If you have seen some of my posts on Facebook, my motto for the time I spend in physical therapy is "BRING IT"!

No comments:

Post a Comment